Monday, December 7, 2009

Venus of Willendorf and the Sacred Cow

Now that the farm's outside chores have quieted down a bit, I've finally had a chance to start working on some of my long-postponed indoor projects.

Over the weekend, I washed a couple of fleeces and did some needle felting. First up: my version of the famous prehistoric Venus of Willendorf sculpture. She is for sale in my Etsy shop:


Next, I made my needle-felted version of one of the sacred Brahman cows of India. I've always thought Brahman cows were beautiful. This one is also for sale in my Etsy shop:

7 comments:

Julie Baumlisberger said...

Greetings from a fellow Aquarian farmer in Ontario, Canada. My husband and I grow specialty mushrooms and cash crop around 500 acres. We've recently started our own blog, and as I was looking through other farmers' profiles, I came across yours...couldn't believe how many interests we share, from photography to music and book choices. Our daughter has 4 horses, the latest aquisition being a 2 year old Paint gelding, which she will be training for showing.

I'll be following your blog - your yarn work and weaving are incredible! Best of luck in your future endeavours.

Julie

Nancy Chase said...

Hi Julie, nice to "meet" you!

Thanks for the compliments on my fiber art. I'm still kind of a novice but I really enjoy it. And, running a sheep farm, I have a ready supply of material always on hand!

What's it like growing mushrooms? Do they all grow indoors? Do they require a lot of care?

I love to eat them, but that's about all I know about them!

Nancy Chase said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie Baumlisberger said...

Hi Nancy, Julie here... We do grow all our mushrooms indoors year round in former poultry barns...and yes, they are as much work as livestock sometimes! Check out our blog : www.windyfieldsmushrooms.blogspot.com

Janine - Foxtail Creek Studio said...

Hi Nancy - I tried posting a comment to you on the Felting Forum for the past two days but it seems the gremlins are still wreaking havoc with that site! I just wanted to tell you that your Sacred Cow is beautiful...lovely work! :)
Hugs,
~Janine~

Nancy Chase said...

Thank you very much, Janine!

pussman and co said...

I love the little statues! Really :)