Our first lambs of the year will start arriving here in less than a month. And this year, I'm having a contest because I want YOU to help me name them!
Here's why: All of my sheep are registered. The sheep registry assigns one letter of the alphabet to each year, and all lambs born in that year get that letter tattooed in their ears. Because of that, I decided I would name all my sheep with names that start with the letter of their year of birth. It's an easy way to help me remember how old each sheep is.
But it's not always easy to come up with that many names that start with the same letter. This year is going to be the hardest of all. It's the year of "X". I need your help to come up with dozens and dozens of lamb names that all start with the letter X!
So here's how the contest is going to work:
- All names must start with the letter X.
- All names must be reasonably easy to pronounce.
- I need both girl's names and boy's names. Semi-matching names for twins are also good. (For example, in previous years I've had Urban & Urbana, Ulysses & Ulyssia, etc.)
- Either "real" or made-up names are acceptable.
- I will collect all the name suggestions in a list, which I'll keep with me in the lambing barn.
- As each lamb is born, I'll choose a name from the list that I think fits that lamb. That's all there is to the judging: whether I like the name, and whether a lamb is born who seems to fit it.
- After each lamb is born, I'll post his or her photo and the winning name here on my blog.
- If your name is chosen, I will post a link to your website or blog, to give you a little free publicity.
- If more than one person suggests the same winning name, I'll post each person's link.
- Each winner will also be entered in a random drawing for a special grand prize at the end of lambing season.
- Email your name suggestions to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Put "Name That Lamb Contest" in your subject line.
- Include your name and web site or blog address so that I can post your link if you're one of the winners.
- You may suggest as many names as you like, for more chances to win.
- Lambing season runs from late March through late May. You may enter any time before the last lamb is born, but the earlier you enter, the better your chances of winning.