Wednesday, March 26, 2008

For Want of a Nail...

For want of a nail, the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe, the horse was lost.
For want of a horse, the rider was lost.
For want of a rider, the battle was lost.
For want of a battle, the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of horse shoe nail.
Today while I was walking in the pasture, visiting with the horses, I looked down and there lying in the dirt was a horse shoe. For a millisecond, my thought was, "Oh no, one of my horses has lost a shoe!" and then of course I realized that all my horses go barefoot. So that means this shoe was from some earlier era on the farm.

How much earlier, I wonder? I know there were horses here when this was a working farm in the early 1900s, but I don't know when the last one left. For all I know, before we came, it may have been 70 years since there was last a horse on this farm.

I picked up the old shoe, all rusty and caked with dirt the same color as the rust. It was a good, sturdy shoe, not much worn, of a pleasing size and symmetry. The instant it was in my hand I got a mental flash of a glossy bay horse: tall, rangy, and big-boned, high headed and clean-legged, with the wind ruffling his mane.

Pure imagination? Or could that be what the horse who wore this shoe really looked like? I'll never know. But I think I'll keep the shoe anyway. Perhaps it will bring us luck!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you saying they are going to blame the Iraq War on you?

If you hang the shoe, just remember to keep the ends pointing up so the luck doesn't run out.

Nancy Chase said...

See, now maybe that's been my problem all this time: That horseshoe has been lying out there in the dirt, with all the farm's luck running out of it! :-)

I think you're supposed to hang them above a doorway, with the ends pointing up, like you said.

I'll have to poke around in the rust on the shoe to find where the nail holes are so I can hang it. Maybe I'll put it above the barn doorway. That would be appropriate!

Rhea said...

I'm so sorry about your horse sale falling through at the last minute. I love the lucky horseshoe find! Keep it for good luck!