Monday, October 29, 2007

First Frost

Summer is really, truly over now.

Yesterday, Ken turned on the heat in the house for the first time this fall. Last night, I put the electric mattress-pad on the bed. That has to be one of my favorite all-time inventions. There's nothing like a toasty warm bed to lull me to sleep better than anything else.

We had our first frost last night, so it was pretty chilly out. When the nights are cold, the first thing the horses do in the morning is pick a patch of sun and lie down to take a nap and absorb all the warm rays.

As you can see by the photo, I guess Shane and Libby decided it would be even warmer if they snuggled up together!

My cat Sterling has been rather persistently bringing me "gifts" lately. Two mice in the space of half an hour yesterday. This morning, before dawn, he brought in a live bird and released it to flap around my office. I had to toss him out of the room and then open all the windows and chase the bird around for 20 minutes before it finally went out.

I do have some good news today: Libby has found a buyer! She's not going to leave right away, as the person is going to pay for her over the next three months, but it's great to know that she'll be going to a good home with someone who appreciates her excellent potential.

I'm not sure what's going on with the other potential buyers at the moment. I've been having a lot of problems with some of my email not getting through lately, so I'm never sure if someone (1) never got my original message, (2) replied and I didn't receive their message, or (3) dropped of the face of the planet.

I guess I'll have to wait and see.

1 comment:

Meggie said...

I, too, awoke to a hard frost this morning. When I finally let the cats outside, I found them lying in the sun on the front porch. So happy to hear that Libby will have a good home.