Thursday, January 17, 2008

Snow Mares

When I woke up this morning, it was snowing. Snow had already covered the ground, and it was still coming down. What better time for...

A photo shoot!

Usually when I open the pasture gate and whistle to the mares, they all come galloping. But today, they were suspicious of who that mysterious person was, appearing out of the snowstorm and calling to them. So I had to coax them for a couple of minutes to convince them that it was really just me.


But once Char decides something is okay, it's okay. Everybody follows the lead mare!


You've heard of "raining cats and dogs"? Well, apparently this morning it was "snowing horses." No wonder it's so hard for me to get my herd numbers down, when horses keep falling out of the sky into my pasture like this! :-)


I call this one, "What's that over there?"


And this one, "Ken With the Umbrella." :-)


Everybody got in on the fun.

Torchsong:


Maggie:


Boudicca:


Scylla:

The babies:



And, of course, Callisto put on a whole show of her own:




What a scenic way to start my morning, taking pictures of beautiful horses. I would have stayed out longer and taken more, but by the time I came in, my camera was wet and my fingers were so numb I couldn't even feel them to push the camera button!

I felt better quickly, though, because when I got inside, Ken had a cup of hot tea and some fresh-from-the-oven honey-bran muffins waiting for me.

You know, I think I just may keep that man! :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nancy those are great pics. You'll have to enter some in the HT calendar.
It almost makes me wish it would snow so I can get some pics of ours :-)

Anonymous said...

What gorgeous horses! They're so beautiful in the snow . . . (I've always wanted a horse, but that's not going to happen in this life, so I'm enjoying yours immensely.)

Kai said...

Oh, they are absolutely beautiful! I felt as though I was looking at a horse ballet & could almost hear the magical music that accompanied the 'dancers'. I LOVE horses! Yours are just spectacular!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! Beautiful animals. And such a treat, hot tea and fresh muffins! Lucky woman!

Anonymous said...

These photos (and horses) are magnificent. Thank you for sharing them with us.
Jo-Anne