Saturday, February 9, 2008

Going, Going, Gone

I woke up before dawn this morning, knowing that Char and Scylla would be leaving first thing. I was a little worried, because the trailer, which was spacious enough for the 9 sheep, was very small to fit two pregnant draft mares.

When the time came, Char loaded up just fine, but then I turned around and saw that she filled up so much of the trailer, I couldn't imagine how we were going to fit Scylla in there too. After a bit of coaxing, I got Char to move over to one side, instead of standing right in the middle of everything, and that made just enough room for Scylla.

For several minutes, Scylla wasn't sure she wanted to get into a crowded space with her more dominant sister, but with a little coaxing, she climbed in. Once they were both in and tied, and the trailer door closed, they realized they were going somewhere and started shifting around nervously. But after a few soothing words, they settled down.

In the mare pasture, Maggie kept whinnying loudly. She's the boss mare now, because she's much older than all the youngsters, and she doesn't quite know what to make of her promotion.

As Char and Scylla drove away, I managed not to cry---but only just. It's going to be a long, tiring, cramped ride for them all the way to northern Wisconsin. And I won't be able to help worrying about them until I hear that they have arrived safely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nancy, this must be a really hard day for you. I hope they arrive safely. -- Kris

Dancingfarmer said...

Aren't Tom and David nice? We really enjoy them when we get to visit with them. They will take good care of Scylla and Char though so don't worry to much (I know you will still be sad).
By the way---Barb says you are getting some really nice sheep and contact her if you ever need help, have questions etc. Preston has always been one of her favorites.
Monica