Thursday, February 21, 2008

Selling Like Hotcakes

I think I'm making progress on the horse sales at last!

Selebrity, Callisto, and Torchsong are almost definitely sold---we're just ironing out the final details and waiting for payment. Maggie and Libby each have more than one person who seems seriously interested in them, so it seems like they will probably sell before too long. If all those go through, that's nearly $15,000 worth of sales, AND it's about $1,000 per month less in feed bills!

You have no idea how much of a relief that would be! We could pay our bills on time, buy all the hay we need for a while, repay some loans from family members, get our pickup truck fixed, fill the propane tank that heats the house, and maybe even think of making a few of the farm improvements we want to make, like reseeding the pastures and building sheep shelters. We could even build a chicken house and get that flock of chickens we've been wanting.

That does still leave Penny, Callista, and Andromeda to sell, but with all the other sale horses gone, that would take much of the pressure off. I could spend time working with Penny, and I could start Andromeda and Callista under saddle to increase their value. And heck, at that point I'd probably have a little extra cash so I could pay to advertise them, instead of having to count on the free ads.

It would be so wonderful if all the horse sales were complete before lambing season starts, so I could just be done with them and move on. Lambing season takes up a lot of my time and effort, but at least it's a happy, hopeful time. I'm looking forward to giving it my full attention.

5 comments:

QuiltedSimple said...

I'm so happy things are starting to look up for you - what a relief for you and your husband. Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed,
Kris

Nancy Chase said...

Thank you! I'm keeping my fingers crossed too. Nothing is 100% sure until the money is in my hand and the horse is loaded into the trailer and pulling out of my driveway. But it does look as if things may start looking up for us very soon.

Anonymous said...

This is excellent news. I am a little late commenting on yesterday's post but it is great. I have never heard of that festival, but as one who spends an inordinate amount of time looking at sheep's backends and wondering... I think it is great. (And I have even missed it this year as I have been sidelined with back issues, and reduced to grilling my DH on "are they or aren't they..." Lambs can't get here soon enough!) -- Kris

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a relief! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I must say, Andromeda is simply a stunning little filly. If I were not in college and were instead living back on my family farm, hooo boy. She's SO pretty. I'll be a little sad when she goes, even though I know there's no chance I'll graduate and move onto some land soon enough to put my bid in.

Nancy Chase said...

I don't know, tikabelle, Andromeda has been for sale for a year now, and nobody seems interested in her, so she may still be here when you graduate!

I can't imagine why nobody wants her---she's an adorable girl with a great personality.

I even offered the person who is buying her sister Callisto a really good deal if she wanted to buy Andromeda too, but I don't know if she's interested or not.

Oh well. Andromeda will find her rightful home someday (I hope!).