Saturday, February 9, 2008

Meet the New Sheep

To distract myself from being sad about Char and Scylla being gone, I asked Ken to help me do a photo session with the new sheep today. He held a bucket of grain to get their attention while I took the pictures.

So, without further ado: Meet our brand new flock of POLLED Icelandics---now we have both horned and polled varieties!

Bylgja, Nina, and Halsa: "Do we hear a grain bucket rattling?"


"We do hear a grain bucket rattling!"


"Yum!"
Bylgja and Halsa:


Twin sisters, Inga and Ida:



Halsa and Petra:


Our new polled ram, Preston. He was the National Champion Icelandic Ram at Rhinebeck, NY in 2005, which is particularly meaningful because that's the year the experts came over from Iceland to do the judging:


Preston is enormous! You can see in this photo how big he is compared to Inga, who is a good-sized two-year-old ewe:


Here he is again in the background, with Mona in front:


Here's Ida again:
Petra:
Our other new polled ram, Freyr:


Nina trying to make friends with our cat Lugh (who is playing hard to get):


Petra and Ida whispering secrets, with Preston in the background:


Aren't they beautiful?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are so pretty! I love Ida.

When I finally get my own farm I am thinking of getting one or two Icelandic ewes.

I know you are sad about the girls going, so I am sending you some internet BLOG **HUGS**

Anonymous said...

They are gorgeous, and those fleeces -- yum! Just think, only one more month (give or take a couple of weeks) and it will be time for LAMBS. You should have some nice surprises this year! -- Kris