Thursday, September 6, 2007

On a Roll?

I'm almost afraid to say too much, for fear of jinxing myself, but I'm beginning to have a little bit of hope that our luck may be changing.

After reading this blog, a fellow Icelandic sheep breeder---from whom I bought several sheep last year, including Paris, the gorgeous sheep in this photo---offered me the job of redesigning her web site for her.

I'm really pleased about getting the opportunity to bring in some more money doing something I enjoy doing, especially for such nice people. Designing websites for farms and other small businesses is something I have long thought of doing, but this will be my first paying job at it.

I have a lot of years of professional writing and editing experience, plus I get lots of compliments on my own websites, InglesideSportHorses.com, InglesideIcelandics.com, and KeepingTheFarm.com, so I think that I'll be able to do some good work. I know a lot of small farms don't have the time or inclination to want to build their own sites, so this is something I can help with.

On top of that, I got to meet a very nice couple today who came to look at our horses for sale. They stayed for a couple of hours. The young woman was very experienced and competent, so I would have no worries about what kind of care and handling a horse would get if I sold it to her.

She visited all the horses, and especially looked at Bonnie, Boo, and Penny. She said she liked all of them but price was a factor. I told her we're open to offers, so she and her husband are going to discuss it and get back to me.

It seemed pretty certain that she would make an offer on one or more of the horses. Whether it will be an offer we can accept remains to be seen---we can certainly be flexible to some degree, but we're not GIVING the horses away after I've invested this much into them---but I have hopes that we can work out some kind of deal.

The fun part of the visit was letting her take our stallion Senter out into the round pen to try out his gaits. He's such a pretty boy, and a gorgeous mover. It's always fun to play with him.

Next time I need to think ahead and take some video of him moving, to share on the blog.

After things quiet down around here (if that ever happens!) this fall, I need to continue with his saddle breaking too. Guess that will be video for the blog as well.

No comments: