Thursday, December 13, 2007

Siberian Bacon

A short while ago, my sister Donna sent me a care package from her farm in Siberia, Maine: beef steaks, ham steaks, and bacon, all from naturally raised animals on her farm.

We ate the beef steaks for dinner that very night, and they were some of the tenderest, most perfect steaks we'd ever cooked.

But this morning we tried the bacon for the first time. In all honesty, I think that may have been the finest thing I've ever put in my mouth!

Home-grown bacon---with a meatier, more substantial texture than store-bought bacon---smoked with apple wood, injected with maple syrup from Donna's friend's trees, and rubbed with spices. An absolutely magical combination. I can't even describe how good it was.

We also are spoiled to have a freezer full of lamb from our own sheep. And next year, we hope to start a flock of chickens, so we'll have eggs and meat from our own chickens.

There's something both wholesome and luxurious about eating natural foods that you raised yourself. It makes me sad that so few people in our country nowadays have that privilege.

Grocery stores are convenient, but nothing in any grocery store can compete with Siberian bacon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stop! Stop! No, don't stop! You triggered my salivary glands but in a good way. I envy your ability to eat so naturally. You are truly living green. Good on you. I don't think I'd be able to do it if I were in your shoes. I'd wind up becoming a vegetarian because I couldn't do the actual slaughtering. Enjoy the perks of farm life! And what a nice sister!